Riot August recently announced on Twitter that two champion will be receiving mini reworks at some point in 2022. Those two champions are none other than Olaf and Taliyah, two champions that have gotten lost in obscurity.
What could Riot change on these champions, and who is in desperate need of a rework? How far will Riot go for these champions? Let's make some predictions about these updates coming at some point this year, and let's try to guesstimate when they'll be released.
Taliyah Mid-Scope Update in 2022
When you look at Taliyah and her kit, you probably think that she is pretty fun, right? A mobile mage who can quickly make her way through the jungle into the top and bot lane, but in recent times she's lost her touch.
- Check out our new Hardware Category with some of the best gaming hardware for League of Legends!
That's why Riot is going to try and bring her back into the meta. The mini rework will be akin to the one Ahri received earlier this year, and we all saw what a glow up it had for the mid laner.
What Will Taliyah's Mid-Scope Update Look Like?
|Rock Surfing (P)|
|Threaded Volley (Q)|
|Seismic SHove (W)|
|Unravelled Earth (E)|
|Weaver's Wall (R)|
With these changes Taliyah is going to have much of her burst damage lowered, instead she's got some AoE damage back in her Q, which had initially made her an extremely OP pick in pro play. That's why Riot has cut so much of her damage, but through PBE testing they might shift some of the numbers around according to Riot August.
Not only does she have AoE damage on her Q now, but she's also able to stun opponents. Will we be seeing a lot more Taliyah in the bot lane as a support now? These changes were meant for both mid lane and jungle Taliyah, but support Taliyah could also rise once more from the ashes.
- Did we say Support Taliyah? Thankfully, we have in-depth Taliyah Support guide for you right here!
We're beginning to ramp up work on "mid-scope updates". These are larger sets of changes for champions that can take a couple months to lock down. The recent Ahri and Janna adjustments are examples of work in this space.— August (@RiotAugust) March 29, 2022
Mid-scopes for Taliyah and Olaf are currently in flight. pic.twitter.com/X6PRyxuFA9
Olaf Mid-Scope Update in 2022
Olaf's mid-scope update would bring the jungler into the 2020s as well. Olaf is fun, but he's very one dimensional, which in the current state of League of Legends isn't always a good thing.
Sure, his ultimate makes him 10% bigger, but is that really something we need from him? He's a very straightforward champion and it's easy for enemies to anticipate this champion's moves, hence why Riot will have to bring his abilities up to par with the current state of League.
What Will Olaf's Mid-Scope Update Look Like?
Not only will Riot look at his base stats, but his passive, Q, W and ultimate will also be adjusted. His W is going to be completely reworked as well from what we can tell on the PBE Server.
These are all the changes currently on the PBE Server
- Base Stats
- Attack Damage :: 68 (+3.5/level), 127.5 at level 18 >>> 68 (+4.7/level), 148 at level 18
- Health :: 575 (+100/level), 2275 at level 18 >>> 575 (+105/level), 2360 at level 18
- Mana :: 316 (+42/level), 1030 at level 18 >>> 316 (+60/level), 1336 at level 18
- Berserker Rage (P)
- Calculation reworked to grant max effectiveness at or below 30% health
- Maximum Attack Speed granted :: 99% >>> 40-100% (levels 1-18)
- [NEW] Now gives up to 12-35% life steal (levels 1-18), based on Olaf's missing health
- Undertow (Q)
- [NEW] - Shreds 25/27.5/30/32.5/35% armor for 4 seconds on champion hit
- Damage :: 80/125/170/215/260 >>> 60/110/160/210/260
- Minimum Range :: Approximately 300 >>> 425
- Mana Cost :: 60 at all ranks >>> 40/45/50/55/60
- Cooldown :: 7 seconds >>> 8 seconds
- Cooldown refund on axe pickup :: 4.5 seconds >>> 5 seconds
- Vicious Strike (W)
- [NEW] Resets Olaf’s basic attack
- [NEW] Olaf gains 70/115/160/205/250 (+25% of Olaf’s missing health) as a shield for 2.5 seconds
- [REMOVED] No longer grants Life Steal
- [REMOVED] No longer amplifies Olaf’s healing based on missing health
- Attack Speed :: 50/60/70/80/90% for 6 seconds >>> 40/50/60/70/80% for 4 seconds
- Cooldown :: 16 seconds at all ranks>>> 16/14.5/13/11.5/10 seconds
- Ragnarok (R)
- [NEW] Hitting a champion with a basic attack or E - Reckless Swing extends the duration of Ragnarok to 2.5 seconds. Olaf can refresh Ragnarok indefinitely.
- Duration :: 6 seconds >>> 3 seconds
- [REMOVED] R - Ragnarok's passive's bonus resistances are no longer lost for the duration of the cast
When Could the Reworks Release?
The Olaf update has hit the PBE 12.8 server, but will stay online at least until Patch 12.9, while Taliyah's rework should be on PBE for 12.9 and also be released then. That is what Riot Axes has explained on Reddit at least.
Who else is excited to play some Olaf and Taliyah after their updates? Both are iconic champions, but seem to have drowned over recent times because of other champions becoming much more prominent. Hopefully these mid-scope updates boost their play and win rates up, just like they did for Ahri.